About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Friday, March 23, 2012

NEWS


By now one would hope that you know how much I respect these people....

But this is a point well made...

Power to the people, indeed....


This is strange but true....




I voted for Obama. I will not vote for him again.

But there simply are no alternatives.




 (if you missed it, check out the exact center)

Okay, now news about the magnificent bastards...

I can hear this now....
The great shaman stands in front of the tribe and says, "Thanks to the Great Spirit for this roadkill....." 




 My bartender and I were discussing this. I opined that maybe the neighbor was a paraplegic. He said, "Maybe he belonged to a weird religion."
We concluded that he must be a Chinese, cripples Jehovah's Witness gay guy.

 I read an excellent article about the changing dynamics of world governance. Here is the gist.....

 I wonder why they have to keep it wet?

This is a combination phone case and charger....

 We have all heard this tragic story. I don't want to discuss this lunatic's guilt or innocence. I want to talk about profiling vs known threat.

We have a weekly newspaper in my home town. At one time it listed the name, address, age, race, sex and offense of everyone arrested in the city that week. I remember scanning the race and stopping at the rare (very rare) W and thinking what was this white guy thinking. Most of the W arrested were public intoxication due to it being a college town.
Further, the police now publish a 8x10 sheet of forty or fifty tiny pictures of known shoplifters, and week after week they are all black women.
90% of the Most Wanted List are black male.
All of the muggings in and around my neighborhood are young black males.

So, gentle reader, what should I do with this information? Totally ignore it? Or adjust to reality?

Question: If you are walking to your car in a dark parking lot and hear footsteps behind you; would you respond exactly the same if:
A) they were three white guys in sweater vests and pocket protectors.
B) they were three black guys in hoodies and baggy pants.

Profiling has been turned into such a dirty word. Could it not just be putting factual information to work for you?
If 99.9% of the illegal immigrants in your county are Mexicans, would it not be prudent to check more ID's of Mexicans than other people?
If 100% of the terrorists are Arabs.....you get my point.

Would love to hear you opinion on this.






2 comments:

Patrick said...

The comedian Daniel Tosh says "Its not stereotyping if its always right."

It becomes increasingly harder not to stereotype as more and more ethnicities fall into behavioral patterns.

Jambe said...

Softwood shrinks and checks (splits) when it begins to dry, hence the watering. Wood that is constantly wet is also appreciably less susceptible to wastage from insects and microbes. Yes, I like dendrology and silvology.

Also, the total amount of wood knocked down by Gudrun is relatively tiny (it was some 75 thousand cubic meters) compared to the 3-billion m3 world output that same year. It was a lot to handle all at once by the people involved, but it's all already been burnt/processed. That was like six or seven years ago.

wrt profiling: I don't have a problem with it as long as it's backed by (good) statistical analysis. I also don't like the word "terrorist" because it implies a very black-and-white scenario when it is anything but. e.g. if some young Afghan kid sees his mother and siblings blown to pieces by a misplaced guided munition and then takes a pot shot at a passing convoy in rage and kills an American solider, is he a "terrorist"? Was McVegh a "terrorist"? Kaczynski?

The illegal immigration issue is also overflowing with stupid partisan bullshit. What we need is a revamped immigration system that is sensible, because lazy ass Americans of these most recent generations (e.g. mine, or everybody younger than 35) don't want to do factory work or menial service and they absolutely will not unless there is a cataclysmic change in our standard of living.

We also need to decriminalize all drug use (except in public, just like with alcohol). That would end the cartels and do much to help Mexico and other Central/South American nations be at least somewhat free of constant fear.

But yeah, building a wall and shit is stupid, and going around deporting people just because they're not naturalized is also stupid. If they're productive members of our society they should be naturalized, and if they're criminals or leeches they should be kicked out. This fucked-up hypocritical double-standard we have of wanting the cheap-ass tax-free labor and yet simultaneously moaning about the lack of "good jobs" needs to stop, one way or another.

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive