About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

WEDNESDAY #2054




Images shared on social media by observers at the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash site in eastern Ukraine show possible forensic evidence that yes, a surface-to-air missile did shoot down MH17--and that it may have exploded just beneath the plane, rather than exploding on impact with the aircraft.

Radar guided missiles almost always kill by proximity explosions. Not only does the radar receiver in the nose guide the missile close to the target, the abrupt ending of the radar tells the missile to explode. The radar ends because there is nothing in front of its nose, thus it has reached the target.


*****


In storms 17 years ago, the Tokio Express listed so far it lost 62 shipping containers. One of them contained 4.8m pieces of Lego, and they're still washing up in Cornwall.


*****


Geckos changed color to match color he was placed on even when blindfolded. The skin is rife with opsins – light sensitive proteins.



*****


A few weeks ago it was teeming with sunspots, as you would expect since we are supposed to be in the middle of solar maximum--the time in the sun's 11-year cycle when it is the most active. But now, there is hardly a sunspot in sight.



*****


Islamic State continues march towards Baghdad


*****


 In his "speech" he only said that it was not his name that should be remembered, but the name of his friends who died. Then he walked off the stage.



*****






*****


Yeah, Syria is still bleeding...

Saw this pic of Tour de France...
 Reminded me of the 65mph highways with those trees mere feet from the pavement in Europe. More or less, if you leave the road, you die. I would have thought the problem would have been solved since I was there in the mid-60's.



*****



The cruise liner Costa Concordia is seen during the re-float operation....


And this...one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
Said to be the first 1000 places of pi....and I'm impressed.
This came with very limited information. Does anyone know more about this....breathtaking illustration?


A rather powerful safety PSA...


Me: I’m always wrong in your eyes.

Wife: That’s not true.

 I think this ship is being beached prior to being cut up for scrap.

She's back with another camel gag...


 Why the past tense "Helped" instead of "Helps"?



I live every day as if it’s the last day of my internet connection.




I would have written "Only 4 seconds", but maybe that's just me...

I never knew this...

Just another reason I shun public transportation...



Wait so "the c-word" isn't "coworker?"




Jajajajaja….that’s Mexican for Hahahaha



I watched a wonderful movie with Walken in it..."The Power of Few". Don't read anything about it - just watch it. A movie I may never forget...it's that good. 


Subtle...

A repost I still find very funny...

What could be stranger than this 200lb sausage in Austria?
 That it was stolen.
(and this is yet again an example of me screwing up the timing of posts)

You might want to read the whole thing....


 One Of My Very Own...


Can’t we all just get a lawn?

(I have no idea why I posted that)


Look carefully...
 OOMVO...

French door picture frames and coat rack...

This has been around a long time, but I was hesitant to post it...
 ...until someone came up with this...

Guy in a BBQ joint tells the president a joke...



Bug mockery escalated quickly…

How clever...

This movie's premise is wrong...
 It is about a human who uses more than 10% of her brain and does amazing things. In fact, humans use all of their brains, just not all at once.

Brilliant...

What can I say...

This book is supposed to be excellent for kids...making important concepts fun...
 Speaking of math...

I would so love to see this in person...


This is my 23,725th homicide-free day in a row.


 I talked to my wife about the Bic Company. Their products - pens, lighters and razors - are some of the greatest engineering feats in history....and cheap.

How wonderful...

Hotel room numbers in shadow...

I don't really know if this is true...I just smile every time I see that hair...


Oddly, this condemnation was not universal...

AND THEN THERE'S THIS...

Tylenol...the mystery drug...3 minutes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting This land is mine on Sundays anti sermon.
I only knew Andy Williams from the commercials where the singers would sing one line from all their songs in rapid succession as they hawked one greatest hits or another when they were past their prime. He did have a nice voice.
I would post that to facebook to take a poke at my family as it does a provide a very basic explanation of what I have always believed but I leave them alone when it comes to their "God was so good for providing sun this day" ramblings.

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive