About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Friday, May 29, 2015

FRIDAY #2358 SITUATIONAL AWARENESS

One Of My Very Own...
***********

Have you found something interesting? It was an art installation by Ralph Henry.
Leave a comment and tell us about where and when you came upon it. I would really appreciate it.
Or you might want to email:
ralph.henry.at.folio.olio@gmail.com

Eating utensils are out. Keys are in.
I'm still working out the details, but something highly fortuitous happened today. I had just told my wife that I needed to buy a roll of clear packing tape and a pair of scissors when lo and behold an Ace Hardware appeared. We stopped and after getting my items I ask the guy if he had any keys that were cut wrong or weren't picked up or whatever, and he turned around and pulled down a rather large cardboard box FULL of keys. I offered to buy them, but he would have none of it. I got his address so I can hook him up with some pictures of my installations.
**********




"Those Irish are a disgrace to mankind!" - political cartoon from a German newspaper

***********

I went off and left my cane at home. I had been getting along pretty well without it, but getting all cramped up during drives has made me really need it.
But today we are back on the back roads, one was so rural that it had never had any stripes painted on it. As of Thursday night we are in a small town in Kentucky with a great BBQ restaurant.



THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT
(or There's a reason people don't take me to nice places)

On the way up to my my daughter's we stopped at a fancy cafe with an A-frame sign on the sidewalk that read: Breakfast. When we went in there was a breakfast menu on the table. I made my selection of eggs, etc and sent my wife to order at the counter while I held the table. After a while she came back and said that they weren't serving breakfast, so I took the menu to the order place and said, "I'll have a barbecue."
"Sorry, sir, we don't have barbecue," he said.
I smiled, held up the menu and said, "Would you point out the items I am allowed to order today."
Manager walks up. "Sir, we have everything on the menu but barbecue."
"A hot dog?"
"Yes."
"With chili?"
"No, sir, we don't have chili."
I laughed and walked out and my wife got pissed at ME!




SITUATIONAL AWARENESS

I have mentioned situational awareness (SA) on more than one occasion. The way I look at it, you should know where you are and the specific dangers of your immediate area at all times.
This first clip is an example of awful SA.
Those people were standing in the middle of a road with trucks coming and going. One would think that it would be prudent to glance around from time to time in order to detect any hazards.
Children don't understand SA, and have to be taught.
That the kid in the vest was shot eight times was extremely educational to the other kid.
Some people MUST have great SA or they will die. This young man is jumping from balcony roof to balcony roof 97 million feet in the air. Believe me; he knows EXACTLY where he is and what he must do.
Here's another idiot...BUT an idiot with acute SA.
Thieves have a good sense of SA. Having a look out helps.
This man knows exactly where he is and every single danger he faces.
This man thought he understood that.
Here is an excellent example of SA. This man was just stopped by the police for suspicion that he had drugs.
This next guy was approached by two assassins. Knowing they were coming with a finely tuned SA allowed him to survive.
On a side note. The first assassin was shot three times and still managed to run out and down the street. He died late at the hospital, but that's not the point.
The point is, image you are in combat and all you have is a 9mm and you manage to shoot the on rushing enemy guy 3 times but he still keeps coming. That's called awful stopping power and why I would opt for a .45 every time.

The Old Croghan man's hand.
 This bog body was found buried in peat near Croghan Hill in Co. Offaly. He died sometime between 362 BC and 175 BC.

Speaking of dead Englishmen...
Henry I may be the next English king found under a parking lot.

Any of you guys know what this says?


Crayons: Breakfast of slack-jawed kids for over a century.


Speaking of... 
Fossilized Dinosaur Skin...


How lucky we are that we can reach our genitals instead of that spot on our back that itches.


 Google CEO Eric Schmidt, famous for weirdly off-kilter mockery of the privacy his company exploits for its billions, has been immortalized in shit.


 Shit I should have know but didn't...
When you get a bag of zip locks, just cut a slit like the yellow line. You can get one out easily, but they won't spill all over the shop if you pick them up by the wrong end. 


I don't snore. I dream I'm a motorcycle.


Yes, I have been that poor.
For months I cooked every meal I ate in an electric popcorn popper. 

"Shouldn't we remove that?"
"Nah, just paint over it."


 This kid knows everything he needs to know about golf.


Never touch another man’s halibut and chips.


How to spot a man who really, really enjoys his job...
 That guy should really meet this girl...


I'd be super embarrassed if people saw my Google history but only because its all words I should really know how to spell by now.


 Tom Six, the director of the Human Centipede series of films, wherein humans are surgically attached ass-to-mouth to—sigh, you know—is "very proud" of his work: "art should do something to people."





The first person to see a sunset was probably like well this ain't good.




I bet Metallica gets really upset whenever they walk through a metal detector and it doesn’t go off.






Children who ate peanuts between 4 months and 5 years of age were much less likely to have a peanut allergy when they were 5 years old. This includes children who were initially sensitive to peanuts - they were ~60% less likely to develop full allergies than sensitive kids who avoided peanuts.

-- New England Journal of Medicine NPR

Yes, that's a piece of meat swiping Tinder pics.  


In two-sibling families, adolescents who believed their parents favored their sibling were more likely to engage in delinquent behavior and substance abuse.


My wife found some of her old home movies...

Occupations DO differ in level of perceived creepiness: Clowns, taxidermists, sex shop owners, and funeral directors were at the top of the list.

(taxidermists?!)



When eating cereal out of a frying pan with a melon baller…time to do dishes.


Photography...


Age ain't nothing but a number indicating how long you've been alive or how embarrassed you should be about what you haven't accomplished.


The beauty of abandoned buildings...


We could all be great if we weren’t so comfortable being mediocre.



Wow!


It's not whether you win or lose,

But how you place the blame.



We have enough "youth".

How about a fountain of "smart"?



A Fool and his money can throw one heck of a party.


Admissions...

 Carl Sagan



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very familiar with situational awareness, but I think there is another term that applies to a couple of your scenarios i.e: the daredevils.

Proprioception is the sense of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body and strength of effort being employed in movement. Knowing you are in danger and knowingly putting yourself into dangerous places is where I think the distinction lies.

pm

Anonymous said...

Admiring the time and energy you put into your site and detailed
information you present. It's great to come across a blog every once
in a while that isn't the same unwanted rehashed
information. Fantastic read! I've saved your site
and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive