About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Friday, March 25, 2016

FRIDAY #2653

One Of My Very Own…


ralph.at.folio.olio@gmail.com 




David Letterman...



This is where my father-in-law (center) grew up.

>



>

>
My boy looks like an Alpine skier...
He did crawl...for about a week. Now he's walking.


>

Ladies, not every guy who talks to you wants to bang you. Some of us know that you have snacks in your purse.

>

A stone car with two axles and 4 wheels dating from about 7500 years ago was found during excavations in the Kiziltepe district of the southeastern province of Mardin, are now on display at the Mardin Museum, Turkey.
That sounds so phony to me, but I did a little research and unless the scientists have been fooled, I think it's legit.
But I also think that they called it a car instead of a wagon just to get more bang for their public relations buck.

>

This is Emily Perez, the highest-ranking black and Hispanic female cadet in corps' history.
At only 23, she was buried at West Point military academy Sept. 26, 2006 two weeks after she was killed by a bomb in Iraq.

>

Robert Todd Lincoln, son of Abraham, at the dedication of the Lincoln Memorial on May 30, 1922.

>

Street art that I find rather confusing…

….-<{o0O0o}>-….
SOME THINGS I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT


There is an old adage about each individual person being the hero in his own life’s narrative.
I, of course, understand that and agree.
But one’s narrative is not the end of the story.

Life is more than your story and in my opinion, life is about life; and that means babies.
I have talked to many young people who tell me that they would never have children. 

Something about it either frightened them or bored them, and they were adamant. But once graced with a child they ALL tell me that they didn’t really understand what life was like until their child was born. I tend to agree.



And if you are still toying with the notion of remaining childless, I have a comparison. I have never talked to a drug addict who had not said “I can handle it, I won’t get addicted.” Likewise I have never talked to a young “anti-child” person who afterwards could not then imagine a life without that child. That is 100% and with those kinds of odds, some of you people might want to rethink your position. Further, it is a species imperative, and that shit is very hard to overcome.
Now please don't tell me about being so poor your can't feed a child, etc. You know I'm not talking about that.

In a related subject, here’s some facts that I can’t guarantee, but still find interesting.


>
"I don't own the view and I don't expect to own the view but I am being entombed," said Hellen Barnaby, who used to enjoy a view of Perth, Australia from her apartment balcony. Now she sees a wall from a new high-rise that is one inch from her balcony.

>

In the 1940s and 50s, zoot suits were worn by Mexican-American hipsters who embraced the flamboyant oversized style of dress to express their desire for freedom from discrimination and racism as an underclass.
The zoot suit caused a series of youth riots to break out in Los Angeles and was banned for the duration of WWII.

>

Candidates at an Indian army recruitment day in Bihar were made to take a written exam in their underwear to prevent them from cheating after a spate of exam cheating scandals in the eastern state.


….-<{o0O0o}>-….

BEHOLD THE HUMBLE PALETTE KNIFE


Palette knives are usually used to mix pigments, but sometimes they are used to apply paint directly to the canvas.



These two close-ups were in an article about just such a technique.



But they do not match the painting accompanying it....

>

I want to put a 'Honk If You Love Jesus' bumper sticker on a goose.

>



>


This is probably old news by now, but this really happened.
To quote plumber Dean Materi: “I seen a gold shimmery thing on the ground and I thought it was a copper light fixture, but when I went to shovel it up, it seemed kind of heavy. I picked it up and it was a gold brick.”
But I have questions. He was remodeling a bathroom at the time, so why does he think it belongs to him? It belongs to however owns the property.
Further, think of all the gold and other valuables buried on the site of every city that has ever been under siege. That occurred to me when I watched a documentary about Sherman's March through the south. People buried everything of any value to keep it out of the hands of the Union Army. It stands to reason that for one reason or another, they did not have a chance to retrieve their stash.
I think this happened in every war from the very beginning of civilization.

>

Huge debate as to which of these two men are the best in the world.
Put me in the Messi camp.

>

One would have to guess that fear of heights is an evolutionary advantage, and that is why it is so widespread and almost impossible to overcome.


>
Anything invented after you are 35 is against the natural order of things.

>


>

This is what I look like when my computer update tells me I have to restart my computer.
I love that gif.

>

Guy likes to live dangerously…


>
We humans have named our whole galaxy after the secretions of a cow’s udder.

>




>

Vantablack is a material so black that it absorbs all but 0.035 percent of visible light. That’s a lot. Things basically disappear when coated with the Vantablack carbon nanotubes.
And yet, they’ve somehow made the material even blacker.

>

I have no idea if that is accurate, but it is something to think about.
But most Democrats live along the costs in cities and most Republicans live in the middle of the country.

>


>

Lizard Found Preserved In Amber Is 99-Million-Years-Old

> 
Two crossword clues:
Manhattan developer. _ _ _

Wedding line _ _ _

>


>

Bar and I do.

>


>

I haven’t quite got allergies figured out. One would think they are evolutionary, but if so are they advantageous or harmful?


>
I sometimes say “It’s a Catch-23 situation” just to see how gentle the person will correct me.

>

I think this guy has done this before…
Despite any previous practice, that still takes balls of steel.

>

Alexander Graham Bell’s tetrahedral kites




>
I learn through denial and error.

>

The Devil’s in the details, Hieronymus Bosch
The shoe intrigues me.

>
Hong Kong



> 

Have a wonderful weekend, Gentle Reader. Do at least one thing that makes you very happy. Unless it’s heroin…don’t do that again.

>




No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive