About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

ARTY THINGS WORTH SHARING

I laughed when I saw this. Having a master's degree in art has helped me in more ways than I can explain, but to too many it is a kiss of death. I am of the opinion that art students ALL think their shit don't stink; then when faced with the real world...well, they can't cope.

I am planning a post of people I would like to meet. This man was at the top of the list, but I decided to share it now because he is just so fucking awesome.

He makes art that look kind of like doll houses....oooooh, but what doll houses.

Most are mere feet wide and tall, but just look at the detail.
I love each and every one of them.







I have stated many times, reuse is the new hot medium.
There are now millions...billions of books destined for landfills, so lets make art out of them.

Some attempts just involve utile crude stacking...


But then you find someone who actually knows how to stack...


My jury is still out over using books to "paint on". I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with ignoring the potential of the books themselves.

This work was made of book bindings of different colors and made into an image perfect for a library.

Books spilling from windows and such is nothing new. I saw my first years ago. I've always wondered more about the how than the why.

Manipulation of stacked books......


I can assume that before you can sand or slice pages like this, that they must have glued the pages together first.

This is my least favorite, I just added it to demonstrate the range of usage for the surplus books.

Folding of the pages works for some artists...

Then there are the masters. Check this shit out...











Getting people involved with your art is cool as shit.
Check this out...
Interestingly, I could not think of one fucking thing that did not involve another person doing something I want them to do.  Yeah, I'm that fucking smug.

A couple of silly ones I like.


In the same vein as the above, this fence was what I call a "Throw Away".  An artist (or a person who thinks like an artist) does something just to make another person's day more....interesting.

The image above came from a website dedicated to fences.
Here are a couple of others.


Disney cheats? These are two cels from two different movies from Walt and friends. Check out the tree.

One of my very own...

PAINTED LADIES THAT LOOK LIKE SLUTS,
BUT PROBABLY AREN'T....
(DID YOU CATCH THE MAGRITE REFERENCE?)

No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive