About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Page 33






After every child who wanted one had been given a ride, Jeremias and Esther returned to the porch and watched as their kin lopped limbs, burned debris, raked and otherwise spruced up the old home place.
The women busied themselves in the kitchen, some setting up the sawhorses and laying on planks for a crude, yet effective, table.  Linens were spread, flowers were arranged and before long it was time to eat.
Most adults had a child in their laps.  Some of the older children sat on the edge of the porch where they would eat with their plates in their laps.
Jeremias sat at the head of the table and when he took off his hat, the group quieted, held the person's hand beside them, and bowed their heads.
Esther said, "Dear Lord, blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for these are more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.  Proverbs 3:13-14.”
"Amen," chanted the entire gathering.
A pretty little girl of about six walked beside the table and stopped beside her great-great grand father and handed him a wrapped gift.
"Why, I just love it, little Missy.  Thank you very much," he said as he lay a tender hand on her head. 
"But you haven't even seen it yet, Mr. Jefferson."
"That don't have nothin' to do with it," he replied.  "Happiness is somethin' you decide on ahead of time.  Whether I like my gift or not don't depend on the gift.  It depends on me.  I already decided to love it.   It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up.  I have a choice.  I can spend the day in bed thinkin’ about the parts of my body that don't work right no more, or I can get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do work right.  Each day is a gift, don't you see, and as long as these old eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away just for this time in my life.  You see, old age is like a bank account is what it is, Missy.   You withdraw from it what you've put into it.  So, my advice to you is to deposit a whole bunch of happiness in that bank account of your memories.  And I want to thank you for your part in helping me fill my memory bank.  You see, I'm still depositin'."
"That was beautiful," I said to Esther.
"Just remember these five simple rules to bein' happy," Jeremias said loud enough for all present to hear.  "Free your heart from hatred."
"Amen, Mr. Jefferson," said the assembled as one.
"Free your mind from worries."
"Amen, Mr. Jefferson." 
"Live simply."
"Amen, Mr. Jefferson." 
"Give more."
"Amen, Mr. Jefferson." 
"And last but not least, expect less." 
"Amen, Mr. Jefferson." 
"And one I learned this very day, Money can't buy me love."
He winked at me.  There were chuckles mixed with the Amen refrain.
"Now let's eat like we is hungry," demanded Jeremias good naturedly.
Cheers erupted and plates of food were quickly passed up and down the table.




No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive