About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

THURSDAY #2389

One Of My Very Own...
I thought that very funny.

>

Don't know all I should about Greece default, but I'm reminded of Iceland just telling the banks to go to hell and they seemed to have survived just fine thank you very much.
 I bet there's a lot of Greeks who wish they owned something...anything, but cash.
And the day of reckoning will come when there is no money to pay these guys and they just walk off the job.
We shall see when we shall see.

>
Last week my neighbor fell asleep on his deck for a couple of hours.
It has been so very hot down here that even old timers are whining. Today it was 90 degrees and we ate out on the sidewalk. I mean it - it felt like a spring morning.


>


"Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay!"

-      Sherlock Holmes
>


>
 Downstairs in a house are three identical on-off switches. One of them controls the lamp in the attic.


The puzzle is to work out which switch controls the lamp. The rules are as follows. You are allowed to manipulate the switches all you like, and then you are allowed only one trip to the attic. How do you do it?

(NOTE: That was all the instruction I got, but there seems to be something missing...like look up the stairs to see if it is dark.) 

>
I posted this a while back. A guy emailed to say the trick for cooking salmon like this is to use cedar planks and soak them in water to retard burning and promote smoke.
Cedar? I would be afraid it would smell like my grandmother's sweaters.

>
>

My life has gone steadily downhill since the gold star in Miss Wilson’s second grade class.
>

Why?
I mean, nobody can see it unless you do that and that isn't a very attractive thing to show somebody.
And WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER LOWER FRONT TEETH?!?!

>
But it just doesn't work that way.
I knew a woman who bought her daughters and sons the exact same toys and one day she walked in on her young daughter playing with trucks. When asked why they were lined up like that the child said, "This is the daddy truck, this momma truck and here's the baby truck." 

>
I am still amazed that horses like us humans so much.
I mean, as far as I know we don't have to beat them, or otherwise torture them; all we have to do is show them who's boss.

>
Just what the world needs...faces...on coffee.

>
I have a young friend who makes things like the reuse items below...
 In a similar vein, here is a workable wind turbine made from used auto parts...
And while we are on the subject, let me again plug the use of shipping containers for living space. 
That one has a ton of solar panels.
Speaking of wind turbines: Engineers mimic owl wings to reduce wind turbine noise.

Owls have unique wings that make very little noise so it doesn't warn its prey as it swoops in.
I watched a documentary concerning people who lived near huge wind turbine "farms" and one of their first criticisms was the "whoop, whoop, whoop" of the blades all day and all night. This redesign could help those poor people.

>
New beach blanket that allows sand to seep through...
I bet wet sand doesn't do that.

>
I think that X is the center of mass and it's a beautiful thing to see.



>
Headline:
(Remember climate change deniers. Fluoride haters have some evidence that it's bad and they run with it, even though that evidence is widely rebuffed.)

I'm getting pretty fucking tired of this shit!
Periodically I just can't see some of the images on various sites. I download something and then the next day I can't see some images on some other site.  I need a teenage son in the house.

>
This is a good friend of my wife. He is a great photographer. I mean that, and I don't give kudos without cause.
 Here is a collection of his work if you are interested.

>
This is supposed to get much more attention than the normal cone...
And I bet it does.

>
This is a classic case of "It's not my job."
 It also tells me that the stair guy is not the railing guy. One of them read the plans wrong and the other didn't bother to help him out.

>
I learned to type with hooded keys, meaning there were no letters visible, so there was no use looking down at the keyboard. I got very fast and, well, I still am.

>
This guy said a mosquito sucked the blood out of his bruise...
I find that amazing.

>
Guy sent me this. It's been around a while, but it reminds me of something I did once.
I just had a girl bending over washing her hands in the men's restroom. It was funny to watch the men spin around and leave thinking they went in the wrong room. 

>

A San Francisco biotech startup has managed to 3D print fake rhino horns that carry the same genetic fingerprint as the actual horn. It plans to flood Chinese markets with these cheap horns to curb poaching. Pembient, based in San Francisco uses keratin — a type of fibrous protein — and rhino DNA to produce a dried powder which is then 3D printed into synthetic rhino horns which is genetically and spectrographically similar to original rhino horns

>


My glasses get so dirty, I've written poems about them.
>

 The photograph in question shows van Gogh  drinking with fellow artists Paul Gauguin, Emile Bernard, and Arnold Koning, with painter/politician Félix Jobbé-Duval. The French actor André Antoine stands in the middle.


>


You ever walked down the sidewalk, looked down at your shadow and thought, “Holy shit I’m fat?”
>


>


I just feel sorry for all you young women that now even your gay friends will be getting married before you.
>


>


If you disappeared today, how many people would look for you?
>

I have written many times about my dismay over friends with awful jobs that they loathe. I wish I had a magic bullet, but I don't.

>
I bet somebody, somewhere wouldn't like that either.

>
Oh, me, oh, my...
That is unbelievable. It gives me the chills. Wow!

>
MeThinks...


1 comment:

Scott James said...

Light Switches -

Your readers are too smart for this one. I will send the solution via email so it doesn't ruin it for the ones who aren't.

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive