About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WEDNESDAY #1922



Carl Sagen’s Cosmos being re-run on The Science Channel and I’m on a marathon. Dr. Tyson's reload was great.
*****
In the days of GPS, how do you lose an airplane.

*****
Me flip flops and my daughter in new snow.

*****

My South Carolina Gamecock baseball team is undefeated heading into the hard part of their schedule....just thought you'd like to know.

*****
Went to hip doctor today...got the all clear and a no restrictions on what I can and can't do. 
I learned something. These are my x-rays. Notice two things:
1. The big ball thing rotates in the socket.
2. The arm nested inside that ball also moves.
That means that it is double-action. Moving my leg rotates the very end, but also the very similar but smaller ball and socket inside that.
I found that very interesting.

*****


TRUTH ABOUT NOT HEARING WELL: My wife was telling me about something she bought at the grocery store and used the term 'pre-basted'. I gasped, thinking she had said 'free basing'.


Whenever I hear the term "racial make-up", this is what I think of...

McDonald's does actually serve breakfast after 10:30 if you threaten their families.



The Swiss must have been pretty confident in their chances of victory if they included a corkscrew on their army knife.



I am curious how the researchers defined housework, which may vary from culture to culture.


I'm thinking (at least in the relative short term) humans won't evolve further because we don’t have to. It is the change that must be adapted to that causes evolution. Thoughts?




OOMVO...

Mardi Gras is all fun and games until it's your daughter.


Cute?
I think not...
And to think, we humans did that in only a few (relatively) generations.

My mother used to tell all her children that everybody was born a girl, then some children grew a penis. That may explain a lot.





My wife was so sick this morning that I had to carry her to the kitchen to make my breakfast.




In the heat of an argument, act like you are being recorded.




Just because you’re not the most feministy feminist in all of feministtown doesn’t mean you’re not a feminist.



1981: Osborne: the first lap-top


Whenever I hear of the poison "ricin" I always say "rice and what?"



All I expect in a discussion of religion is that you are logically consistent....a rare thing, indeed. And I try very, very hard to avoid confirmation bias...looking for and finding only that which supports my position. 


Is that true? I don't know. I just thought it was a cool ass thing to think about.


“ I am afraid there are more people than I can imagine who can go no further than appreciating a picture that is a rectangle with an object in the middle of it, which they can identify. ”  - William Eggleston



My neighbor who dresses up in a Batman costume and masturbates in front of my sprinkler at precisely 11:32pm every third Tuesday of every month. 


"I have a lot of feelings, and they merit your attention," said, or at least thought by everyone on Earth.




Some people claim that they have experienced out-of-body experiences—aka "astral trips"—floating outside of their bodies and watching themselves from the outside. A team of scientists found someone who says she can do this at will and put her into a brain scanner.


I get tired so easily. It’s like I did that push-up last year for nothing.





Am I the only one around here who has never played Candy Crush or Flappy Bird?

(by the way, little children used to play those exact same games on school computers two decades ago. They were allowed to do so because it taught them how to control the mouse)

Old photo of street urinals in Paris...

I have stood right where this photographer was standing...
When I was in Paris there was an outside cafe to the immediate left on a corner. I sat there and a beer...or two.


Sooth…truth

"In sooth, I know not why I am so sad."
- Billy Shakespeare


This is Saturn's pole. I asked my daughter, an astrophysicist, if they knew why it looked like this and the answer was "Not yet."



FYI: My daughter told me she wasn't technically an astrophysicist, but it still applied to what she was researching and teaching.


That first step off your high horse is gonna be a bitch, darlin’. Tuck and roll. Tuck and roll.





You are less alive than you were a minute ago.
Have a nice day.



 This is official sign language for a period...
 ...hitting yourself in the face......TWICE!


The application asked, “Have you ever been convicted of a crime” followed by “Explain why.” So I wrote “No” and “Good lawyer.”





That face you make when she says, “Deeper” and you are out of dick.



For you new viewers, a repost I still like...
Did you notice the author's name?

I want a T-shirt that says “EAT or DIE” because at first it sounds rebellious but is really just a reminder.



Exercising your brain and your body...I like it...


“I can’t believe you believe something as ridiculous as the bible. No wonder you have such a negative aura.”



I'm going to repeat a story for my new viewers...
When I first got out of the military in Europe, I started growing a beard and stopped getting haircuts. I already had a handlebar mustache. After almost a year traveling on my own, I return to the US and lived with my mother and father for a while....a short while. 
One of the first days home my mother, an old school Southerner, asked me if I minded eating lunch at the same table as her black maid. I was flabberghasted, and but stammered, "No at all."
When I sat at the table and said "Hi," the black maid stood up and stormed off with a tossed back "I ain't eatin' with no hippy!"
And that, Gentle Reader, it a true story.

Our congressmen all lie better than Lance Armstrong.



I can not imagine this not worth being saved...
...but someone....from somewhere.


Fucking magnets.



 (that may not be true, but you know how I am about headlines)


The nasal cycle is the biological cycle that automatically switches the bulk of your breathing from one nostril to another throughout the course of the day. It's the reason why you usually feel more stuffed up on one side when you have a cold.





Bee diarrhea is a serious problem for beleaguered beekeepers in England, and now nosema is becoming more prevalent in the South West, US and that is not good news as bees with the problem hardly produce any honey.



As I understand it, we have no plans to visit Europa for fear of contaminating it. Wise move.

RAND Corporation. We've all heard of it, but you might want to do a little research on them....I did...and damn!



Damnit! This is the wrong way to do it!
You should never stick the rag down inside the bottle thus effectively leaving the liquid free to pour out. When you rear back to throw it, you pour the gasoline down your back and catch yourself on fire. You should fill the bottle with gas. Put the lid back on. Tie a rag around the neck. Put gas on the rag, light and throw. 


After the millionth time my wife asked me if an article of clothing made her look fat, I couldn't resist and said, "Let me put it this way…if you were a book, you’d be two books."



Public art well worth sharing...



Insanity is hereditary…you get it from your children.




I like these little....statements...


I’m an old man and I still giggle at the word ‘nipples’.



Hell, let's make this sum-bitch the pope...
FYI: Southerners hardly ever say "Son of a bitch"....we say "Sum-bitch".

Was there such a phrase as "gravity of the situation" before Newton?



My mother used to say if she found herself naked in public with only a handkerchief, she would cover up her face and just walk away...


In the 17th century, Kepler wrote a sci-fi book where man visited the moon.





Why is every other color trying to be the new black?








No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive