About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

TUESDAY #2483


One Of My Very Own…



STORM UPDATE


There are thousands of people who may not have flood insurance.

You may or may not know that flood insurance is a special rider on home insurance. Most people opt out to save money. Pity, that.

The way it looks we may have to change the maps.

It could take years to get all the roads restored. There are hundreds and hundreds of photos like these.


There are cities that are now islands because all the bridges leading in and out are washed out and the same is true for the highways. God knows how they are going to get fuel, food, etc.
But, believe it or not, none of that is the biggest problem.
Do you see that aqua pipe sticking out?
That was a water main.
Just about everywhere a road washed out, it took the water mains with it.
We, of course, have bottled water and beer to drink and brush our teeth, but without water you can't flush your toilet. Much is being advised through social media, and one lady invited all her neighbors to come get water out of her swimming pool to flush toilets. Warms the heart.

Further exacerbating the problem is the breach of the levee that separates the river from the city's water supply.

Lake Murray dam is safe, or so they say, but to relieve pressure they have the floodgates wide open.


 And those floodgates empty directly into a river that leads directly through Columbia. And you can see what we fear.
They are predicting floor levels at unheard of heights.

There are some weird things that happen with flooding.


The authorities are warning everyone to stay out of the water for multiple reasons, one of which is snakes.

This is what fire ants do in a flood.

City, county, and state officials are begging people to stay home, but some learning curves are shallower than other's.

They are still pulling bodies out of the creeks, and people STILL drive through running water on the roads. Unbelievable. 

>
This late breaking news - Another major dam inside the city limits has broken and they have imposed a mandatory evacuation. But they can't make people leave, so they take out a notebook and ask who their next of kin is to contact when the water drowns the stupid motherfuckers. Sounds like a pretty effective motivation.
All stores have run out of bottled water, predictably, but emergency responders National Guard have set up water distribution centers and the line of cars to get said water stretches for blocks and blocks.
My bar, Dano's, opened and I couldn't believe it because they aren't supposed to wash dishes with the polluted water coming out of the tap. That clever bastard when out and bought every plastic cup and disposable forks he could find. The place was packed. I made many new friends with cabin fever people getting out for the first time in three days. Then the news of the latest dam break came on TV and he gave everyone 30 minutes to leave. He was worried about how his employees would get home.
There is another curfew tonight. And, believe it or not, it is STILL fucking raining.

>

Bernie is continuing getting healthy crowds.


>
Oh, my, my new best friend.
That, Gentle Reader, is one beautiful baby. His mother says he also the happiest baby she has ever seen. Well, why shouldn't he be?


>


Have you ever, late at night, asked your dog to go buy you more beer?


>

 "My father was a slave and my people died to build this country, and I'm going to stay right here and have a part of it, just like you. And no fascist-minded people like you will drive me from it. Is that clear?" -- Paul Robeson (1898-1976) during his testimony before the House Un-American Activities Committee, June 12, 1956

>
PEOPLE WHO DON'T LOOK LIKE ME

It's called the Trail of Tears for a reason.

Some time I refer to native peoples as "primitives" and I am chastised. Well, not only do primitives look different than me...
Padaung People (Kayan or Long Neck) are the heritage one of the greatest treasures of the World. The Padaung is an ethnic minority of Myanmar, a tribe of the Kayan people, some Padaung people are migrant to western Thailand, Meahongson.
As I understand it, the neck is not stretched; rather the collar bones are lowered.

Primitives do some really weird shit to themselves.
 The Dani people of Western New Guinea have a unique mourning process. It's fallen somewhat out of practice, but it was traditional for older women to cut off segments of their finger to show their mourning after the death of a loved one.


The Wogeo of New Guinea practice ritual bloodletting, cutting the penis to simulate menstruation. The Mardudjara take it a step further, practicing sub-incision, a practice of, for lack of a better word, flaying the penis by cutting the length of the underside open. There are all kinds of theories for this behavior, but its most often attributed to a similar attempt to simulate the perceived cleansing of menstruation.

Is there anybody out there who doesn't think that shit is primitive?
But then again, men in our society wear four meaningless buttons on their suit jackets.

>
I have a love affair with wood. I like everything about it.

>


My wife yells out her own name as she climaxes. She's THAT good.


>
What a beautiful way to do the tread and riser all in the same piece of wood.

I've probably posted this before, but I don't care. It is a brilliant idea.

>

Do you like long lines, mass transit and sweaty white people? Ask your doctor if a Disney trip is right for you.


>
Look what my wife found.

>


Whoever first said "No news is good news" never had both their cable & Internet go out for two hours.


>

Jack Kerouac

>
A real sign in a real bathroom. 
Speaking of cripples...
 They redesigned the machinery just for him. Nice.

>


 If you hear one of the high piano keys repeating slowly, you’re either watching a trailer for a horror movie, or you are a parent.


>
 Another good idea.
 That means there is no children-tempting candy near that register.

>

>


I once posted: Queue is just Q followed by 4 silent letters.

Someone added, They aren’t silent, they are just waiting their turn.

>
That tells me that the plane is adequately powered.
I think the spin is caused by the torque of the prop. 
And then there's this.

>


If I had a time machine, I'd go back & mess with myself. I'd delete and re-blog frog my post monkey with random words giraffe inserted.

>
 Those horns look like my mustache...on a good day.

 >

>
 I fold my laundry just like everyone else. About 3 weeks after the dryer buzzes.



>


Dear Aliens: How many probed anuses does it take to develop an understanding of terrestrial life?


>
Doctors-to-be sleep when and where they can.

Speaking of sleep...
 I took one of those sleep test, and after they do that to you they tell you to sleep normally.

>

Meanwhile in china.....

>


There's nothing worse than when you tell someone it's a long story and they reply with "I have time."


>

>
I carried 24 loose beers up to the cashier and she says "Ya want a box for them?" I said, "I was willing to pay, but I guess we can fight for em."



>


When I was younger, I was so stupid, I made bad decisions that will haunt me for the rest of my life. And by "younger" I mean yesterday.


>
You never know...

>


Exactly when in American history did Americans stop having British accents?


>

>
 It's caused by the Marangoni Effect; the drops consist of dye, water and propylene glycol (PG). Water evaporates faster than PG (1/2)

 I have no idea what that means, but it is cool to watch.

>
No.

>
I was surprised that none of them pulled their trigger in death spasms or some such.

>
I think this is a better version of an idea I've posted already.

>


 I accidentally took an extra step when I reached the top of the stairs and now, well, I'm in a marching band.


>
You need to watch all of this.

>


 I am so lazy I thought about getting up and going outside and looking at the super moon but then decided 2033 isn't even that far away.


>
How clever.
It's a drone, of course.

>
American Foreign Policy Explained...

>
Why are there commercials for milk? 
Who still doesn't know about milk?


 >
Why would they teach it to do such a thing?!
 Haven't they seen the movies?

>


My superpower is acting like I'm trying to stop the elevator from shutting when more people are trying to get on without really doing anything meaningful.


>
That is some excellent advice.

Smart man.

No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive