About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

SATURDAY FUN WITH LANGUAGE #2529


One Of My Very Own…


>

Residents of the Brussels are searched by police before taking part in a memorial gathering to honor the victims of the recent deadly Paris attacks.

Would you profile Muslims? If not you would not be doing your job. 




This is what France has done...
 ...created a bunch more terrorists.

>






FUN WITH LANGUAGE

>

>

>
The first test you take to weed out people from the nuclear weapons program is a color blindness exam. The reason is those colored bands on that resistor. But there is no nuclear maintenance technician EVER who was allowed to touch the circuits. If a problem was detected, it was removed and replaced and the malfunctioning component was sent off to the laboratory.

>

>
 Once was enough? Hell, I would have tried it twice just in case it was a fluke.

>

>
 I often wonder how many people will understand one of the gags I post. Not because I am so sophisticated or hip, but that the above kind of humor is rather narrow scoped. So, trust me, that is hilarious, so laugh out loud even if you have no idea of the connections.

>
 Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

?
 Not sure if that is meant to be good news or bad news.

>
Very interested to see how my daughter translates this...

>

>

>

>
 It says, "1.5 GPA."

>
I tried to put together another "Being Southern: A Tutorial," but that didn't pan out. Here are a couple of the early candidates for inclusion.
I have a dear friend who used to be an editor for my state's largest newspaper and he is, predictably, rabid in the "proper" rules of language usage. I am much, much more flexible. I like R for are, and U for you. I mean, why the fuck not? Anyway, if 100 million people in a given country have decided that Ya'll is an acceptable word, then who the hell are those others people to say it's not allowed. I really like the flexibility of language.
My favorite retort is, "If people like you had gotten their way, we would all still be saying Thee and Thou." Which I think in true? 

Here's another from that Southern file.

>

>
 Read that name very carefully.

>

>

>

>
When I see anything like this in a store, etc, I always thank the people in charge.
We need all the smile producers we can get. 

>

>

Speaking of...

Ted Koppel's new book, Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath warns of an impending disaster when America's critical infrastructure will be destroyed by cyberattackers, plunging the nation into a literal dark age.


I do not live my life in fear, but we have had so many warnings of an upcoming attack that I don't see anyway we can avoid it. Granted, the government may have some super-duper top secret plan to get us back on line, but, sadly, I doubt it. Without computers nobody could delivery anything, including gasoline, electricity and groceries. That would be when normal people start acting desperately. And rule number one is that no matter how much stuff you have stocked up, somebody is going to want to take it from you.

>
 >

>
I must add that Minnesota's record this year is 6-3, and that could give them a shot at the big game. And my Packers play them tomorrow at 4:30.

>

 >

>
Tomorrow my Packers play the surging Viking. Pray for me.

>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terrific work! That is the kind of info that are meant to be shared across the
web. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this submit upper!
Come on over and consult with my site . Thanks =)

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive