About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Monday, January 25, 2016

MONDAY #2593

One Of My Very Own…





SNOW, SNOW, SNOW

Honor guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Maryland still standing strong during the blizzard.








Arizona Cardinals arrive in Charlotte for NFC title game



POLITICS


>James Dickey wrote Deliverance and sent a tape of Dueling Banjos to the producers to use in the movie. They used the tune only to discover that it was copyrighted to someone and they had to pay huge royalties. When asked about it, Dickey just said, "I thought they would check." Somehow, the producers "assumed" the tune was Dickey's own.


>
Got a couple of minutes for something extraordinary?

An interesting comment from the bride that is worth noting: "Ben is a Maori, he is probably more Maori than I am.  People are apparently misled in that regard by his fair skin and features.  I was."
There is another reason I pay attention to anything Maori besides it being a oft times crossword answer; the Maori were the kick off for my favorite book of all time; Guns, Germs and Steel.
If you have not read (or listened) to that book, please do so. I learned things that made so much, so clear. And I mean that.
And as an added thought, there is something about people expressing their emotions so passionately that I find very moving. One would assume those very chants were handed down for countless generations.

>
I know a person who just got a $400,000 grant from the National Science Foundation, and it makes me very happy.



>

The old system of having a baby was much better than the new system; the old system being characterized by the fact that the man didn't have to watch.

>
I can remember doing this exact same thing in school...
Only mine was "I will not steal the principal's hubcaps."

>
 Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona

 I loved that place. It is a bonanza for the Indians. The US government controls only a small fraction of the whole "forrest" and outside the park, the Indians are free to scavenge anything they want. There are dozens of shops along the highway leading in and out of the park that sell chunks...some of them huge...and I think it's a good thing. I own a chunk about has big as a pork roast...and the coloration of the stone looks like a pork roast also. 

 >
Said to be a Banksy...

>

Actors get paid more to pretend to go into space than astronauts get paid for actually going into space.

>
 Which one of these boys look more normal?

>
Reuse of silverware...

>

The first person to make popcorn must have been seriously freaking out.

>
I know this shouldn't bother me, but...
It is not OCD if you are a fuck up...it is just observation.

>
A very old log cabin...
They weren't so much interested in the aesthetics.
This next one is President Lincoln's Childhood Home


Oldest House in Aveyron, France (13th Century)

Question: Why build ever larger upper floors? Why wouldn't you just expand the base and be done with it?

>
The Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia capsized and sank after striking an underwater rock obstruction off Isola del Giglio, Tuscany, on 13 January 2012, with the loss of 32 lives. In 2014 german photographer Jonathan Danko Kielkowski sneaked onto the ship and took these photographs. Shortly before they started dismantling the ship.


>
Well bless her heart. 

>

I don’t think that illiterates get the full effect of alphabet soup.

>
 Yeah, I do this, but I'm reciprocal. You can use my stuff anytime you want, for any purpose.
Here's a joke I have repeated numerous times:
"You've heard of a trophy wife? Well, I have a participation ribbon wife."
Not one person would rationally assume I made that joke up. No one asked me if I had. Jokes are MEANT to be stolen and retold. I see no difference between an oral joke and, say, a funny picture. Get over it.

 >
Before we get to upset about the freak shows, remember that these people made more money doing that than anything else available to them.

>
A 1900’s amusement park with an upside down loop.

I had no idea they had those back then.

>
And it's a fine thing, indeed.

>

I’ve been sober now 43 days. Not in a row or anything, just in total.

>
 I know a person who has been seeking the treasure for years. He seems to be getting close and even exchanges emails with Mr. Fenn.

LATE NEWS: One of the searchers is feared lost and, presumably, dead. Mr. Fenn hired planes and helicopters to aid in the search. He even paid for detailed daily satellite images that the public can scan.

He, Mr. Fenn, has stated over and over that the money is NOT in a dangerous area. Further, it is not anywhere that an 80 year old man, like himself, couldn't get to easily.

>
Just sayin', those Kenyans ought to up their negotiation skills.

>

FINALLY peed that thing off the side of the toilet bowl.

>

>

I’m not sure if my wife is really mad at me for all my gambling, but I bet she’s just bluffing.

>
Oh, how I love plants on buildings. This one a Hotel in Singapore.


>

The best part of football is when they squirt Gatorade from those bottles into the player's mouths and they look like hamsters.

>
 “The best laid plans of mice and men and Henry Bemis, the small man in the glasses who wanted nothing but time. Henry Bemis, now just a part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of the rubble, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself. Mr. Henry Bemis, in the Twilight Zone.”


 >

If you stood next to Sankey Flynn (1918-2001) of Greensboro, North Carolina, you might have thought he had a wristwatch in his head. An audible tick-tock sound could be heard coming from Flynn's ears about twice a second. According to physicians, the noise came from the "spasmodic contraction of muscles in the roof of his mouth. This causes the eustachian tube, leading from the throat to the ears, to open and shut making the peculiar noise."


>
When I would blow in a school and produce a mural with the students in a week, the same program brought in poets and writers. Some times they would display an unusual photo and ask the students to explain what was happening in story form.
Here are two examples that I think would spur young imaginations.

>

BAKER: And what would you like the cake to say?

ME: *covers phone to ask wife* Do we want a talking cake?

>

Speaking of disappointment...

>

It's been my experience that anytime of the day or night, if you look in a mirror and say four random nouns three times, your wife will walk in and ask what the hell you’re doing.

I would like one of these.

>
Couple spent 15 months in a car traveling. I have no idea what the odd numbers mean.


Reminds me of professor and his "assistant" from Australia who bought a big station wagon in California and planned to travel all over America photographing murals and talking to muralists (including me) in order to get data for a book. Then they would head south through Mexico, ending up in Brazil where they planned to sell the car for enough profit to pay for the trip.


>
This may look cute...
But in South Carolina you can be arrested for even touching one of those. 

>
Get off my dock!

>

 If only the person that named “walkie talkies” had been in charge of naming so many more household objects.

>
Anybody out there explain this to me?

>
Russian express lane...

>

 [giving grandmother's eulogy]

But on the plus side, that's the fastest she ever got down the stairs.

>


No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive