About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

SATURDAY #3140

One Of My Very Own...




<>


BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY 
AT ITS FINEST


I came upon a wonderful collection of black and white photographs that I really liked. A couple of them I had seen before, but I really didn't mind seeing them again.





And a few previously exhibited...



<>

FUN WITH LANGUAGE


===

===

===

===

===
I found this rather interesting.

<>


LET'S DISCUSS FLAT EARTHERS

I've been thinking about flat earthers more than I should. I did find out that they believe the reason you can't go to the edge is that there is a wall of ice.

But the insane nut and bolts of their delusion was not exactly what I was after.

So arguments are destined to fail, like this one...

Then I hit upon their primary motive.
Now, at last I can let it go. To believe the Earth is round blows the biblical creation myth out of the water, and that just can't be allowed.


<>
"How come Americans write the month first?"
"That's how you say it, month first"
"What's the date today"
"It's the fourth of July"


THINGS I CONSIDER ODD

Speaking of...
When my wife realized there's a higher setting on her vibrator.

===
There are a whole lot of guys who would still stick their dick in it.

===
This doesn't look like it's their first time to do this...

===

===
Fatty Arbuckle train stunt scene

===
If you do this...seriously, fuck you. Your fat ass could probably use the exercise, so put the damn thing away.

===
The ultimate "Are you fucking kidding me?"
Talk about cultural appropriation!

===
Who uses red paint for a base color for a wood chipper?
Well, the obvious answer is "He does."


<>
A great way to make people nervous is to tell them where the bathroom is without their asking.


THINGS TO PONDER

When I remodeled my kitchen, I wanted white grout between dark gray tile and the tile guy flatly refused to do it. The reason is illustrated above.

===
I've stated many times that I can't imagine leaving this to crumble.
I wonder if it could be dismantled and put somewhere else like London Bridge.

===
Remember the story of the wolf in a trap chewing off his own leg?

<>


SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

I actually read a book about that. It gave story after story of people having weird feelings about things, avoiding that place and then later something bad happened.
It was concluded that the senses, mainly the eyes, take in far too much information for our conscious mind to process; therefore vast amounts of data is turned over to the subconscious mind. It is this part of your brain that makes you feel uneasy about entering a building or getting in your car.

===
This reminds me of the Samurai Crabs in Japan.
Those crabs illustrate evolution by the hands of man. When a fisherman caught a crab whose shell pattern looked like the fierce face of a samurai he would throw it back in the water. This happened so frequently that now all the crabs have the crude faces.

===
Want to guess what these things are.

Looks kind of like art, don't it?
Fish farming in the ocean.

===
This car has rear wheel steering.
Would someone care to explain to me why this would be advantageous.

===
Let's take another look at The Magnus Effect.
And that is also why a baseball curves.


<>
When speaking to your wife, always end with, "but i could be wrong," this way when she says you're wrong, you'll be right.

<>

This was a line in a dark comedy about Purge Night in Beverly Hills.

Then there's this:
I stated years ago: Americans don't kill people: Gangbangers kill people.
Europe has very few real ghettos, but the ones they do have are just as violent as America's.


1 comment:

Jambe said...

That rock coin purse is a Jiyuseki sculpture. His English website's an abomination, but thankfully he, too, has a DeviantART gallery: http://jiyuseki.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

Regarding the church: it's sad in a way, but I also think decay has its own beauty. Gothic structures (with their buttresses and massive interior vaults and whatnot) are especially enhanced by ruinousness because they're morbidly fantastical to begin with. Also, the militant atheist in me is pleased by the tangible rotting of Christianity's right-by-might oppressive structures (though I wouldn't suggest we deliberately destroy or desecrate such things). On that note, here's a quote by the inimitable Jonathan Meades:

“The great Gothic cathedrals were expressions of structural ingenuity, certainly, but they were also God’s space on Earth; temporal analogues of paradise; trailers for the forthcoming attraction called heaven. Fear of God was the stick; his sumptuous palaces were the carrot. The immensity of a nave, easily the biggest enclosed space a person would see in an entire medieval life, was an instrument of propaganda through scale. It dwarfs humans, renders them tiny in the scheme of things. It was a brutally literal means of proclaiming God’s might.”

He said that in his mid-nineties half-hour film about vertigo & architecture called Get High, which is great fun: https://vimeo.com/96780784

wrt the fish farms: those are really beautiful. They remind me of Victorian diatom arrangement (we both apparently appreciate arrangement art (aha, accidental alliteration)). See this neat video of a guy who does it in this era (and a written interview of the videographer): http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/secretive-victorian-artists-made-these-intricate-patterns-out-of-algae-180952720/

wrt rear-wheel steering: at the same speed as a normal vehicle, you can turn more sharply and with greater control. Diminishing some of the drag-the-rear/push-the-front dynamics by moving the rear wheels slightly in same direction as the front means tire contact remains a bit more uniform, ergo better "grip". The cost is more wear on the rear tires. The result in "how it feels to drive" is that the car feels more "responsive", i.e. it seems to want to get to where you steer more quickly, which is why the sports/luxury marques are fadding over it right now. The car in your gif does this much more than production vehicles do.

The more common role of rear-wheel steering is the opposite of your gif and is only done at slow speeds: turning the rear wheels opposite to the front greatly tightens the vehicle's turning radius. It's easier to park and do trailer work with a tighter turning radius. For unarticulated (non-jointed) vehicles, once you get to a certain length RWS is actually required or you can't take them through tight bends or intersections (think of the separately-steered rear wheels on the superlong trucks which carry wind turbine blades).

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive