About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

SATURDAY #3210

One Of My Very Own


EMAIL: ralph.henry.at.folio.olio@gmail.com

Harry Roy & His Orchestra - "My Girl's Pussy" (1931)

I'm going for the hat trick this weekend. I've got one with the Team USA victory over Panama. Now I need my Gamecocks to win on Saturday and my UNDERDOG Packers to win on Sunday.
I've money on all of them.
My big money however is on the Nationals to win the World Series. Looks like trouble on this Friday game.
Have a great weekend y'all.




<>
What if Alexa gets mad and starts ordering parts from Amazon to build herself a body?


PEOPLE OF NOTE

You gotta love this guy.

===
===
Did you know Dan Aykroyd co-wrote The Blues Brothers?

===
Jeremy Irons Castle Home In Ireland
No matter how hard you try, you will never out cool that guy. That coat alone makes girls wet.

===

German artists stage a quirky performance for passing trains. Well worth the short view.




===

===

===
Want memories from an old person? Don't say "What did you do in the war, grandpa?" Ask, "What did you wear when you got in the plane?" Or, "What kind of food did you eat?" 
Narrow down the focus.

===

===

===


<>
Announcer: Welcome back to Fishin' with Jesus. We only caught two fish so far...
Jesus: [standing on water] Count those fish again *winks at camera*


THINGS I DIDN'T KNOW YESTERDAY

Sounds from "The Nightmare Machine."

===

===
Years ago I watched a short film about this. As I recall you drive into what looks like an automatic car wash and your car is moved in place where a robot drops the old battery out and replaces it will a fully charged one. Total time about 3 minutes.

===
The world's first all-electric VTOL jet.
===
The biggest cow in the world.

===

===
Inside a Saguaro cactus
I had no idea it looked like that. So woody.

===
Indians painted their horses with meaning.

===

>In 2002, early bloggers started hunting for googlewhacks: "a pair of common words, like 'schadenfreude carburetor' that appear together on only one page in Google's index."

Turns out that there's nothing new under the sun. Classicists search corpuses for the elusive hapax legomenon: "a word that occurs only once in a text, an author’s oeuvre, or a language’s entire written record."<
>One of the most famous Shakespearean hapaxes is “honorificabilitudinitatibus,” meaning “able to achieve honors.” The word appears only in Act V, Scene 1 of Love’s Labour’s Lost and is the dative form of a medieval Latin word, “honorificabilitudinitas.” After Shakespeare, authors such as James Joyce and Charles Dickens incorporated it into their works as well.<

<>
Sorry, guy outside grocery store with a heavy bag and one arm in a sling, but I can't help you. Ted Bundy ruined that for everyone.


SILLINESS

We all remember our first joint....don't we?

===

===
Wait for it...

===

===

===


<>
1ST MAN: I'm sorry, I-
1ST HORSE: It's fine.
M:
H:
M: It's just why BOTH walk? So I thought...
H: I said it's fine, Gary, stop bringing it up!


PERSONNEL


It also meant some of us got polio and we were allowed, even encouraged to not like black people.

===
What I call the come hither look.

===
This is the level of their logic. God forbid.

===
Reminds me of a young friend who got an outdoorsman's dream job.
Guy was hired to travel the entire length of the Appalachian Trail and do any repair work he found. He rode a off road four wheeler with trailer and was encouraged to take someone in case of an accident. He took his girlfriend.

===
Do you think the awe would wear off and one day you just start looking out that window just like any other? I have yet to get over my stained glass door and it's been going on twenty years.

===
This is me hearing Christmas music in October.
===
All things Ralph

===
I'm thinking it took some effort to teach him to get over his fear of that glass floor.

===
Magic fruit and talking snakes.


<>
Martin Shkreli can look forward to a 5,000% markup on cigarettes in his near future.

<>

===

===

===


===

===


4 comments:

Jambe said...

That Zappa was an interesting fellow. On the same topic of atheism, here's Sam Harris from 2005:

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious. Unfortunately, we live in a world in which the obvious is overlooked as a matter of principle. The obvious must be observed and re-observed and argued for. This is a thankless job. It carries with it an aura of petulance and insensitivity. It is, moreover, a job that the atheist does not want.

It is worth noting that no one ever needs to identify himself as a non-astrologer or a non-alchemist. Consequently, we do not have words for people who deny the validity of these pseudo-disciplines. Likewise, atheism is a term that should not even exist. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma. The atheist is merely a person who believes that the 260 million Americans (87% of the population) who claim to never doubt the existence of God should be obliged to present evidence for his existence and, indeed, for his benevolence, given the relentless destruction of innocent human beings we witness in the world each day. Only the atheist appreciates just how uncanny our situation is: Most of us believe in a God that is every bit as specious as the gods of Mount Olympus; no person, whatever his or her qualifications, can seek public office in the United States without pretending to be certain that such a God exists; and much of what passes for public policy in our country conforms to religious taboos and superstitions appropriate to a medieval theocracy. Our circumstance is abject, indefensible and terrifying. It would be hilarious if the stakes were not so high."


Emphasis mine there; that's a great sentence.

Ralph Henry said...

You ever get depressed by the huge multitudes of people who simply believe what their parents taught them without question and then you knowing that IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY TO MAKE THEM THINK FOR THEMSELVES?
I do get depressed. I never belittle believers (at least in person), but my method of choice is to ask lots and lots of questions. It's the same technique used in deprogramming cult followers like Scientology. Getting believers to put into their own sentences the story of Noah or Adam and Eve does wonders. Of course you ask questions at every turn. My favorite is "Why?"
"It was god's will" only holds up so long, then they are forced to dig deep and when they do they sometimes find there is nothing there.
Not to over simplify, but when I ask why god had to drown all the babies and handicapped people during the flood, there is no easy answer. Once you get them explaining the irrational actions of their god, the battle becomes much easier.
But, in the back of my mind I know I am not doing all this to relieve them of their...delusion. I am doing it to make my grandson's life as free of bullshit as I can. And I mean that.
Not to brag, but there has been many people, both on line and in person who have thanked me for starting them...or at least giving them permission to think for themselves.
I hope all is well with you, my friend. You've meant a lot to me all these years.

Jambe said...

Yeah, I'm regularly depressed by what people idly believe and take for granted, and I include myself in that lot. Western religiosity is particularly annoying because it's extremely dull. The Abrahamic texts aren't even mediocre yet billions organize their lives around them.

These days I worry more about irreligious Americans and whether we'll be able to cohere socially in the the wake of religion. Trump has heightened this worry by exploiting the fragility of our shared sense of Americanness. The left eating itself in response to right-wing populism (rather than, I dunno, focusing on solidarity and the moral high ground) has been the most depressing event in my life and I don't even think it's truly begun yet. I hope I am wrong.

And thanks, by the way. Despite my gloominess all is indeed well. Still cynical, still trying not to be, still hopeful. Perhaps it sounds sappy, but I've cherished your blog and our brief interactions over the years. Yours is the best corner of the internet.

Ralph Henry said...

I used to think that the power of the internet would whittle away at the numbers of sons and daughters of believers. With more and more contact with the "outside world" people would start to see the truth, I thought.
Now I learn that with the vast ocean of knowledge and opinion out there, people STILL seek out sites that confirm their beliefs - confirmation bias.
So, who knows?
Thanks for the kind words.

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive