About Me

My photo
I'm an artist, educator, militant anti-theist , and I write. I gamble on just about anything. And I like beer...but I love my wife. This blog contains observations from a funny old man who gets pissed off every once in a while.

Monday, February 12, 2018

MONDAY #3336

One Of My Very Own

ralph.henry.at.folio.olio@gmail.com

<>
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Proud Mary”

NEWSY BITS

Had some good laughs and discussions today (Sunday).
The bar was almost empty, but me and my friend Gary the painter were watching Olympic curling when this lady appeared.
I elbowed my friend and giggled "Wang?" and he returned my giggles. Then he said, "Do you suppose there are two Japanese guys sitting in a Tokyo bar watching this same curling match and one of them elbows his friend and says, "Wang?" and then they laugh like school girls.

Then in all seriousness, that same friend later asked me if it would be wrong to bet on the Para-Olympics. 
We discussed this through a couple of exchanges then the bartender said, "Shit, Ralph, you have bet on the LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES!!!"

Then there was a very interesting discussion over what is a game and what is a sport. One guy said that an expert in such things stated that for an activity to be a sport, then there has to be a defense to keep you from doing what you are trying to do. Also, any game you can play alone is, by definition, a game, not a sport.
So things like golf is a game, not a sport.
Then someone asked if we could be the very best at any sport or game, which would we choose. I chose billiards, cause any sport where I can smoke and drink beer is the game for me.

Arriving home I listened to a CNN report with the headline "30 million dogs exterminated for food each year in Korea." The in the report they repeatedly used words like "brutal" to describe the slaughter methods. I don't want you to think about the methods of rendering the beast dead, I want you to think about who does and who does not get to determine exactly which animals are allowable for consumption and which are forbidden.
So, we can eat a goat but not a dog. We can eat a chicken but not a parakeet. A cow but not a horse.
Now step back and ask yourself, does any of this sound sane to you? And specifically, should CNN jump into such a culturally sensitive issue with both feet in one camp, as it were?
Let me offer my humble observations. Dogs raised for food will eat just about anything, including the bones of a sister dog. Dogs won't run off so no need for expensive enclosures. The dogs will even help protect your home as a bonus. 
If your family was protein poor and it was your job to put some meat on their bones and you were very poor...what the fuck would you do?




JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM

Copper + Magnet
My young chemist friend explained how that happens, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough to pass it along.

===

The State of California has a larger population than Canada, by 3 million.

===
Alaska is northernmost, westernmost, and easternmost state in the U.S.  It sounds impossible, geographically, but Alaska's uninhabited Semisopochnoi Island lies just west of the International Dateline, technically making it the easternmost point of the United States.
Whaaaaaaat?

===

Speaking of WWII, here are some then and now images...
I really like looking at those.

And...

And as a side note...
I think he's up for an Oscar.
Finally.

===
An 8 year old's microbiological handprint after playing outside.
I had read about the dangers of sanitary hand washes for children because they won't build up a resistance to common germs. A scientist guy told me that as soon as the child takes off his shoes he/she has more than enough germs on their hands than he needs.

===
The chain....the CHAIN!


<>
Creature from outer space tries to elude financial officer who wants his money back.
- Alien Vs Creditor.

<>


ATTEMPTS AT HUMOR
"I have a world to amuse."
- Me

There is one panel remaining. Take a moment to guess what it could show.

===

===
The last panel.

===
Different kind of dodgeball.

===

===

In my opinion, the beauty of women's feet are matched by the ugliness of men's feet. Sandals only enhances both of those.

===
I think you will like that.

===
Young people today actually believe they invented things like this. Jeez.

===

===
I have opined that we, as a nation, are getting more stupid for the simple reason that smart couples aren't even replacing themselves and stupid people are breeding like rabbits.

The studies confirm this, with IQ scores declining. 

I offer as proof....

Oh, but it gets worse...

I felt very stupid that this cartoon took me way too long to get.

===

===
Every picture tells a story.


<>
I went to school with a girl named 
Nonstick CookingSpray. We tried calling her Pam ... but it didn’t stick.

<>


ADVICE AND SUCH

Perfect.

===

===
Never walk alone on a deserted urban street. There is a reason it is deserted.


While in Paris my wife and I decided to take a quiet nighttime stroll to the Eiffel Tower. One of the egresses looked like this. 
I opted for another route. Paranoia? Maybe. But it only took seconds more time and the tower wasn't going anywhere.

===
I once was allowed to sit in on a doctoral discussion in a seminary. Half way through the professor asked how many people believed in the virgin birth. Not one of the future pastors raised their hands. That is a very powerful indication of just what is going on.
When questioned about that incident, the student who took me explained that Jesus' message is so important that the facts in the bible can be considered "embellishments". He said the wonderful message of Jesus was the point...the whole point.

===
Ever wonder how The Onion works? The National Lampoon? Netflix movie: 
A Futile and Stupid Gesture.

===
May I suggest that before you die that you take a backroad tour of America. It changed my life.

===
You also need a hobby. I have told several people that and many of them said their hobby was computer games. Pity, that.
Photography is a great hobby, if only for getting you off your ass and in the great outdoors.

I think creating new things is at the core of a rewarding hobby.

===
In my home we have three of four pieces from the same artist. I love the guy's work and purchased all I could afford.
Now he has dementia and is fading fast...and he is much younger than I. Here is some of his latest writing.



Dementia Journal 

Found and lost

Vocabulary words

concatenation: a series of interconnected things or events

Monocarpic: a plant that blooms one time and dies 

Defenestration: the act of throwing someone out a window 
backronym or bacronym: a specially constructed phrase that is supposed to be the source of a word that is, or is claimed to be, an acronym. Backronyms may be invented with serious or humorous intent, or may be a type of false or folk etymology. What the fuck does this mean?

===
Why does it only have to be one? We humans can address all of them simultaneously.

===
Zero Gain
We now have light bulbs that use far less electricity that the old filament types. You would think we would save tons of megawatts. But I have a theory that most people, knowing the bulbs use very little energy, just leave them on many more hours than they would have the old bulbs. 

===
FYI, Sweetie, bears are attracted to drama.
(RH: For decades I have preached that adults are not only bigger than children, but we are smarter. Some folks seem not to be clever enough to understand how to manipulate their charges.)

===
Interracial couple on their wedding day -1960’s.
Brave man and woman.
I hate racism.

But is it racist to point out that there are observable differences in the races besides skin color?
We know where the stupid people live.
Is the fact that this zone is packed with black people just a coincidence?

Or the fact that the black as well as the white servers in restaurants lament that black people tip far less than white people?
To prove I'm not a racist should I keep all these observations under wraps?

<>

===
Demon Rum I wager.

===

===

===

===


===

No comments:

Random Post

Random Posts Widget

Blog Archive